What better time than a road trip to get to know your partner a little bit better?
These road trip questions for couples will get you laughing, talking, and wondering where the time went on your long drive.
Use these road trip questions as a game or simply a way to get the conversation started.
This list of 149 road trip questions provides a variety of topics and types of questions, so you’ll be sure to find questions to keep you and your partner entertained on your long car ride.
Travel Road Trip Questions
While you’re traveling on the road, it only makes sense that you’d stop to ask some questions about traveling itself. These questions can get philosophical, or they can be as lighthearted as you need them to be.
- What is your favorite travel memory from your childhood?
- Where would you go if you could go anywhere from a fictitious location, a destination from history, or a real-world location from the present day?
- If you could bring any one thing from home that you wouldn’t normally be able to take on a road trip, what would you bring with you?
- What’s your favorite part about traveling?
- What is your least favorite part about traveling?
- Is there somewhere you’ve always wanted to go?
- Would you ever go on a big vacation with both of our families?
- If we could each bring one friend with us on this road trip, who would we take?
- If you could live in a van and always be on a road trip, would you do it?
- What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever seen while traveling?
Deep Thought Provoking Road Trip Questions
The road trip you’re taking is more than just about exploring the world around you; it’s also about exploring how each other sees the world. A journey with your partner down a long and winding road is the perfect opportunity to ask thought-provoking questions. These questions will act as springboards to get the two of you talking about some introspective topics.
- If you never had to work your day job ever again, what would you do with all of your time? Is there a way that you can bring some of that into your life?
- What’s one of the biggest societal issues that impacts and shapes your everyday life?
- What is life like from the perspective of a tree? Is there a way to talk about the world outside of the human context?
- When was the last time you tried something new? What was it?
- Do you feel that you’re challenged enough in ways that help you grow?
- What’s one life lesson you learned the hard way?
- What’s one life lesson you learned the easy way?
- If you could only fix one societal issue, which one would it be?
- What makes art “art?”
- What moment in your life has had the biggest impact on where you are today?
Funny Road Trip Questions
If the drive is starting to get long or there’s a lull in the conversation, try funny road trip questions for couples to liven things up.
- Would you rather fight one elephant-sized chicken or 100 chicken-sized elephants?
- If vegetables could talk, which one would be your least favorite?
- Which Olympic game is most improved by having the athletes get incredibly intoxicated beforehand?
- You’re stranded on a desert island with a lifetime supply of one product. What is the single worst product to be stuck with?
- What are some of the funniest memes, jokes, and trends you remember from high school?
- Is cereal a soup? Is a hotdog a sandwich?
- Can you say something sexy in the least sexy voice you can come up with?
- What secret conspiracy would you like to start?
- When we’re in our sixties, what are we going to be nostalgic for from our teen years?
- Toilet paper: Over or Under?
This Or That Road Trip Questions
This or That questions give your partner a choice between two options. You can use these questions as fun get-to-know-yous or challenge your partner with some tough choices.
- Arrive early or arrive late?
- Family or friends?
- Comedy or drama movie?
- Night out or night in?
- Home-cooked dinner or dine out?
- Big family or small family?
- Expensive wedding or intimate wedding?
- Plan ahead or be spontaneous?
- House party or dinner party?
- Cats or dogs?
Would You Rather Questions
Would You Rather questions of the ultimate way to put your partner to the test. These questions are designed to put someone in a tough spot choosing between two difficult options. These road trip questions make for a great game, so try taking turns and see who can come up with the most interesting responses.
- Would you rather always be overdressed or underdressed?
- Would you rather be able to travel back in time and tell the 10-year-old version of yourself any one thing or be able to travel forward in time and have the 90-year-old version of yourself tell you any one thing?
- Would you rather be the star of an Academy Award-winning movie or a cult movie classic?
- Would you rather be wealthy we’re happy with where you are in life?
- Would you rather go to a luxury resort or go camping?
- Would you rather have all the latest technology or be an outdoors expert?
- Would you rather live in a library or in a theme park?
- Would you rather travel everywhere by helicopter or on horseback?
- Would you rather be a bad actor or a bad musician?
- Would you rather always be alone or always be in a big crowd?
Just like the Marvel Comics classics, what if questions take your partner and place them in an alternate reality. These questions can explore deep topics or be ridiculous.
- What if you woke up tomorrow and had all of the powers, and weaknesses, of your favorite comic character?
- What if you found out that I had magic powers and I’ve been keeping my double life as a witch or wizard a secret?
- What if I inherited a mysterious and haunted mansion from a long-lost relative, but we had to stay there together for one month straight to keep it?
- What if we suddenly switched bodies?
- What if you found out that I had been a millionaire this whole time?
- What if you found out that you could time travel?
- What if you got your dream job, but you had to move to a different country?
- What if aliens landed tomorrow, but they looked and acted just like me?
- What if we aged in reverse?
- What if our car could talk and had its own personality?
Silly Road Trip Questions That Can Get Serious
Sometimes the line between silly road trip questions for couples and a serious question is just the mood in the room. We’ve got a few questions for you that can fall either way and let you test the conversational waters.
- If you inherited a billion dollars when you were fifteen, what do you think you would have done with the money?
- What’s the first thing you do if we wake up tomorrow morning and all of a sudden every animal on Earth can speak and understand our language?
- You can go back in time and change one thing about history, but it can’t be a major historical event, what do you change?
- Your most ridiculous fear comes to life, what happened?
- How would society change if everyone could suddenly fly?
- What would your job be in the zombie apocalypse?
- Would you take a one-way trip to Mars to be one of the first humans to live on another planet?
- What would you do if aliens landed on the planet and thought you were the leader of Earth?
- Would you replace all weapons on the planet with their Nerf equivalent?
- Would you want to live for free in a historically preserved building, but you can’t add modern necessities like Wi-Fi?
Get To Know Each Other Road Trip Questions
One way of looking at a road trip is that you and your partner will be sitting in the same room together for a very long time. So this is a great time to get to know each other a little better.
- Have they ever been in love before?
- Do you have a secret dream that you wish you could make real?
- What was the most trouble you got in as a kid?
- Who is your favorite author?
- Do you have a personal hero?
- Has anyone ever inspired you to live a better life?
- Do you want to have a big family or a small family?
- What are your hobbies?
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Do you prefer romantic surprises or planned nights out?
Road Trip Questions About Firsts
Road trips are all about firsts, and there’s no better time to ask your partner about their firsts when you’re out on the road.
- Who was your first crush?
- What was the first time you had to deal with a real adulthood responsibility in your life?
- What’s the first book or movie you remember enjoying as a kid?
- Who was your first kiss?
- What was the first concert you went to?
- What was your first place that wasn’t living with your parents?
- What was your first job?
- What was the first time you felt that you had accomplished something good?
- Who was there for you when you went through your first heartbreak?
- Do you remember your first day of school?
Quiz Questions For Couples: How Well Do You Know Me
Keep these quiz questions light-hearted, but if a serious topic comes up, don’t be afraid to use your time together on the road trip to get to know each other.
- What’s the name of the band or artist that I wouldn’t let anyone catch me singing along to?
- What’s the one movie or TV show I could watch on repeat for the rest of my life?
- What’s my favorite way of spending time with you?
- What’s my favorite part about you?
- What’s the fastest way to cheer me up when I come home from work upset?
- What is my biggest pet peeve?
- Would I rather stay in and watch Netflix or go out and try something new?
- What is my favorite outfit?
- Which family member do I have the best relationship with?
- If we could only spend one more day together, what would I want to do?
Explore Your Partner’s Favorite Topics
One of the best parts about getting to experience a road trip with your partner is spending all that time getting to know each other. This time together gives you a chance to explore your partner’s favorite topics and let them take the reins of the conversation for a while. Be ready with follow-up questions to keep it going!
- What’s your favorite hobby and how long have you been into it?
- Tell me more about your favorite genre of music and what about it you like the most?
- What’s the best movie you’ve ever seen?
- Who’s your favorite sports team?
- What do you like most about your job and what do you like the least?
- What’s your favorite way to relax over the weekend?
- Do you have a hobby that you wish you could spend more time on?
- Do you have a favorite podcast?
- What is your favorite time of the year?
- Do you like the city we live in or would you rather move somewhere else?
Family History Questions For Couples
There’s something that’s always just a little bit historical about a road trip. As you drive through the boundless highways and those old city streets, ask your partner some questions about their family history.
- Do you have any famous family members?
- How far back can your family trace their history?
- What’s something about your family that I would have never thought to ask about?
- Do you have any relatives that you wish you could spend more time with?
- Did your parents have any alternate names they were considering when you were born?
- Does your family still live in your hometown?
- What nationalities and ethnicities make up your family background?
- Does your family speak any languages besides English?
- Do any of your family members live in different countries?
- Be honest, how comfortable are you at big family events like Thanksgiving or Christmas?
Questions That Make Memories
Whether this is the first road trip with your partner or the 30th, you’re making memories while you’re putting miles on those tires. Now’s a good time to ask some questions that will make as many memories as the road trip itself.
- What’s the first thing you noticed about me?
- When we first started dating, what did you tell your friends about me?
- What are you looking forward to the most on our road trip together?
- When was the first time you mentioned our relationship to your family?
- What is your favorite thing that I do for you?
- Was there one moment when you realized that I was the one for you?
- What was your favorite date that we ever went on?
- What did you really think of my family when you first met them?
- What did you think about our first night together that next day?
- When you first walked into my place, what did you think of it?
Road Trip Questions That Keep The Adventure Going
The way back home is still part of the adventure. These are a few questions that you can ask as you complete the final leg of your road trip together.
- If we could change plans and drive anywhere right now, where would you want to go?
- What’s something you’ve always wanted to do on a road trip?
- Do you have any favorite road trip games or activities from when you were a kid?
- What was your favorite destination on our trip?
- Is there a place you’d like to go to again?
- What was your least favorite place on our trip?
- Where do you want to go for our next road trip?
- If you could rent any kind of car for our next road trip, what would it be?
- What’s one thing you wish we could have done on this road trip?
- Should our next road trip be longer or shorter?
The Road Trip Book Club Question Session
Here’s a great way to add some more fun to your road trip as well as give you fodder for limitless questions and discussions. All you need to do is pick out a book that you’ll both like and use these questions as prompts for a book club built for two.
- What about this book stands out to you the most right now?
- If you could change one thing about what we’ve read so far, what would it be?
- Who’s been your favorite character so far in this book?
- What’s been the least believable thing a character has done?
- If you can have one character join us on this road trip, who would it be?
- Would you want to go on a road trip in the world of this book?
- Has there been anything you don’t like about this book?
- What do you think of the author’s writing style?
- Would you want to read another book by the author?
More Road Trip Entertainment Check-Out:
Road Trip Activities for Adults: Fun Ideas for a Long Car Ride
15 Ridiculously Fun Road Trip Games
Best Podcasts for a Long Car Ride
Best Audiobooks for a Road Trip
Road Trip Game Apps to Keep You Entertained
20 Intriguing Road Trip Trivia Questions