Sparta, WI – Farm Stay
Get cozy in this adorable log cabin in Sparta, WI.
Located on a dairy farm in the driftless area, these three cabins are just what you need for that romantic getaway.
The Sparta area is a biker’s paradise. One of the best rails-to-trails bike routes in Wisconsin is the Elroy-Sparta Trail.
This trail is famous for the three rock tunnels you pass through. And it connects five small towns along its 32.5-mile route, making the trail a favorite Wisconsin bicycling destination.
Affordable Things to do in Sparta, WI
- Bike the Elroy-Sparta Trail
- Check out the Fast Fiberglass Mold Graveyard
- Go back in time to the Deke Slayton Memorial Space and Bike Museum
- Grab a glass of wine or a cocktail at Cork and Barrel
- Sample beers at Alchemy Brewing Company
Affordable Places to Eat around Sparta, WI
- Grab a pizza at Slice of Chicago (not the most romantic restaurant, but sometimes you just need a good pizza)
- Check out the Club Oasis Supperclub. Stick to sandwiches for a lower-cost meal, or make this destination your getaway splurge.
- Eat pub fare at The Cotter Pin
Black River Falls – Tiny House on the River
If you are looking for a peaceful romantic retreat in Wisconsin, Tiny on the River is precisely what you are looking for.
Located in beautiful Black River Falls, this tiny retreat will give you the option of hunkering down for a romantic getaway or venturing out and exploring the scenery around you.
The Black River Falls area is an outdoor lover’s paradise. With bike trails, hiking spots, and gorgeous lakes to kayak. It’s also a popular ATV destination, and you’ll find trails around the area.
Affordable Things to Do in Black River Falls
- Kayak the super clear Wazee Lake
- Hike Levis Mound Recreation Area
- Check out the Black River Falls down shops, including The Merchant General Store and First Fruits Common Market
Manitowoc and Two Rivers
Growing up in the area, I didn’t appreciate the beauty of this part of Wisconsin. But each time I come back as an adult, I realize how lucky I was to grow up in such a great area.
The shores of Lake Michigan make the Manitowoc and Two Rivers area a perfect place for an affordable romantic weekend getaway. And as the years have gone by, it’s become quite the affordable tourist destination.
These two quaint towns have many indoor and outdoor activities and good food, including some of the best fish fries, smoked fish, and cheese curds. And it seems like a new wine bar or brewery is popping up every few months.
Affordable Things to Do in Two Rivers and Manitowoc
- Bike or walk along the Mariner’s Trail
- Walk along Neshoto Beach
- Checkout Point Beach State Forest
- Check out the West of the Lake Gardens
- Grab an ice cream sundae at Beerntsens Confectionary
Affordable Places to Eat in Two Rivers and Manitowoc
- Grab a beer and a sandwich at the Courthouse Pub
- Embrace Wisconsin’s German heritage at Kurtz’s Pub and Deli
- Treat yourself to a meal at Ryan’s on York
- Get the best pizza around at Port Sandy Bay
Affordable Places to Stay in Manitowoc/Two Rivers:
- Relax at the All Natural Aquamarine Cottage
- Take advantage of the bike trails at this Beach House with 2 Bikes
- Be steps away from the beach at Beach Haven
- Indulge in the coziness of a bed and breakfast at Toll House Bed and Breakfast
Related Post: Fun Things to Do in Manitowoc and Two Rivers
Waupaca – Crystal River Inn
The Crystal River Inn is one of the best places for a romantic Wisconsin Getaway. They offer a range of rooms and cottages that easily fit any budget.
A favorite room is the Canopy Room, but if you want a more affordable option, check out Andrew or Riley’s River Rooms. The Inn offers a lovely breakfast each morning in a gorgeous room overlooking the scenery of the surrounding area.
This lovely bed and breakfast, located in the beautiful Waupaca / Chain O’ Lakes area, is a place to relax and unwind. But the region also has plenty to do if you want to explore. This is why it’s an excellent choice for that affordable romantic getaway.
Affordable Things to Do in Waupaca
- Lazily float down the Crystal River
- Drive Rural Road to the Red Mill Gift Shop
- Book a boat cruise with Clear Water Harbor
- Check out Central Waters Brewery in Amherst
- Hike the Ice Age Trail – Hartman Creek Segment
Affordable Places to Eat in Waupaca
- Little Fat Gretchen’s for lunch or a piece of pie!
- Eat dinner at Clear Water Harbor for good food and amazing views
- Grab a pizza at the Wheelhouse
New Glarus is a small town located in the driftless area of southwest Wisconsin. The town is best known for its Swiss heritage and is home to several Swiss-themed attractions.
Located in the scenic Wisconsin River Valley, New Glarus has plenty of hiking, biking, and canoeing/kayaking opportunities.
Affordable Things to Do around New Glarus
- Bike along the Sugar River State Trail
- Do a lazy float down the Sugar River
- Grab a beer at the New Glarus Brewing Company (closed on weekends)
- Check out nearby Paoli for more shops and activity options
Affordable Places to Eat around New Glarus
Affordable Places to Stay around New Glarus
Located on the Mississippi just 18 miles north of La Crosse, the quaint town of Trempealeau is an ideal affordable romantic Wisconsin getaway. The scenery is gorgeous, and there are plenty of things to do.
This area is a true gem in Wisconsin, and you’ll be happy to plan a weekend getaway to Trempealeau.
Affordable Things to Do Around Trempealeau
- Drive part of the Great River Road – This is especially gorgeous in fall
- Bike the Great River State Trail
- Explore the Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge
- Hike Brady’s Bluff in Perrot State Park
- Grab a glass of wine and a meat and cheese plate at Elmaro Vineyard
Affordable Places to Eat Around Trempealeau
- Buzzard Billy’s in La Crosse, WI
- Try the Walnut Burger at the Trempealeau Hotel. Stay for a drink and music
- Nosh Scratch Kitchen in Winona, MN
- Piggy’s Restuarant and Lounge in La Crosse, WI
- Sullivan’s Supper Club is among the top supper clubs in the state. A bit of a splurge but worth it.
Affordable Places to Stay Around Trempealeau
- Homestead in Acadia, WI
- Apartment in downtown Trempealeau with amazing views
- Burton House in downtown Winona, MN
Sheboygan: Who knew?
This is exactly what we said on our most recent trip to the Sheboygan area.
The lakefront location and vibrant downtown area make this a great spot for a weekend getaway. Between great outdoor adventures, state-of-the-art museums, tasty restaurants, and cute coffee shops, you’ll be glad you pick Sheboygan for your weekend adventure.
Affordable Things to Do Around Sheboygan
- Spend an afternoon exploring the free John Michael Kohler Art Center (don’t miss out on checking out the bathrooms!)
- Hike the boardwalks in Kohler-Andrae State Park
- Shop and hunt murals along 8th Street
Affordable Places to Eat Around Sheboygan
- Grab a coffee and a quick bite to eat at Paradigm
- Indulge in a wood-fired pizza at Il Ritrovo
- Grab the best butter burger (and best bargain) around at The Northwestern House
Affordable Places to Stay in Sheboygan
Related Post: Fun Things to Do on Your Next Sheboygan Adventure
You may not think affordable when thinking about a getaway to Bayfield/Ashland area as it’s the tourist hot spot of Northern Wisconsin. But with some careful planning, you can plan an affordable trip to the area.
This area is full of inexpensive outdoor activities, reasonably priced restaurants, and some of the best scenery in Wisconsin. Lake Superior provides a stunning backdrop for a getaway to the area.
Affordable Things to Do in the Bayfield/Ashland Area
- Hike the Lakeshore Trail to view the sea caves
- Take a stroll in Houghton Falls State Natural Area
- Sample wine and ciders at the Bayfield Winery
- Grab a beer at Adventure Brewing
- Take a walk to view the murals in Ashland
Affordable Places to Eat in the Bayfield/Ashland Area
- Grab lunch and a drink on The Deck at the Bayfield Inn
- Get wood-fired pizza at DaLou’s
- Drive over to Cornucopia and feast on fresh fish at The Fisherman’s Hideout
Affordable Places to Stay in the Bayfield/Ashland Area
- Experience Ashland charm in this cozy home
- Try out rustic camping in this dome on an organic farm
- Take in a view of Madeline at this cozy Island View Retreat
Do you love waterfalls? Then Marinette is the perfect affordable getaway for you.
Marinette County is the waterfall capital of Wisconsin. And during your visit, you can see over 15 waterfalls in the area.
Most of the waterfalls are easily accessible, so you don’t have to love hiking to experience these gems. But if you are a hiker, there are some short hikes that lead to waterfalls that will satisfy your hiking urge.
Affordable Things to Do Around Marinette
- Spend 2-3 days exploring the waterfalls of Marinette County and beyond
- Go whitewater rafting with Wildman Adventures
- Kayak the Oxbow of the Pine River
Affordable Places to Eat Around Marinette
- Get a malt and double cheeseburger at Mickey-Lu Bar-B-Q
- Grab a burrito for lunch at Blue Bike Burrito
- Get chicken wings at The Avenue Grille and Bar
Affordable Places to Stay Around Marinette
- Relax at either of these two bed and breakfasts: M&M Victorian Inn and Lauerman Inn
- Cozy Cabin in Crivitz
- Trailside retreat in Amberg